The energy transition is on.
We are Onward Energy.
As North America’s premier independent power generator, we’re using our deep expertise and proven platform to power the transition to a low carbon world. Owned by millions of working families, we’re committed to providing sustainable returns at the same time we find solutions to a more sustainable planet. Here are a few of the people who are leading the change.
Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible for overall executive leadership, and development and execution of the company’s strategic and business objectives
- 34+ years of executive roles at Novatus Energy, Terra-Gen Power, Cogentrix Energy, DTE, Comverge, and AES
- BS in Engineering (University of Florida), MBA (Duke University, Fuqua Scholar)
- Responsible for strategic growth, executive mentoring and stakeholder engagement
- 30+ years of executive roles at Southwest Generation, CPV, InterGen and J. Makowski
- JD from Vanderbilt University, BA from Carleton College
SVP, Commercial & Risk Management
- Responsible for managing all commodity-related exposure and risk for the generation portfolio
- 14+ years of experience in the power industry specializing in structured power products, power origination, and portfolio management at EverPower Wind Holdings, Inc. and Constellation Energy
- BS Chemical Engineering with a minor in Spanish (University of Virginia)
SVP, Chief Financial Officer
- Responsible for finance, accounting, tax and IT
- 20+ years of experience including Southwest Generation, Pratt & Whitney, Edison Mission Energy, KPMG, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Intralox and Banco Boavista
- BS in Electrical Engineering (PUC-Rio, Brazil), MBA in Corporate Finance (IBMEC, Brazil) and MBA in International Business (Loyola University New Orleans)
SVP, M&A/Business Development
- Responsible for M&A, business development and financing
- 15+ years of experience including Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, AIG Investments and FirstLight Financial Corporation
- Bachelor of Commerce (Rand Afrikaans University), MBA (University of Connecticut)
VP, Human Resources & Administration
- Responsible for human resources, communications, ESG, and administration
- 18+ years of experience in diverse industries including leadership roles at Camso USA Inc., Simmons Bedding, and Times Mirror Magazines
- BA (SUNY-Binghamton), MBA (Wake Forest), and SPHR, SHRM-SCP, sHRBP professional designations
SVP and Group Head of Business Development/M&A
- Responsible for strategy, M&A and growth activities
- 15+ years of experience in energy and power in engineering, project finance, and M&A at Southwest Generation and General Electric
- BS in Engineering (Princeton University), MS (Georgia Tech), MBA (University of California, Berkeley), and a graduate of GE’s Edison Engineering Development Program
SVP and Group Head of Asset Management & Operations
- Responsible for asset management and operations for the thermal fleet
- 30+ years of experience including Southwest Generation, Black Hills Corp and Xcel Energy
- BS Electrical Engineering with a minor in Economics (New Mexico State University)
VP, Operations & Technical Services
- Responsible for engineering, operations, and maintenance of our 4.2GW platform of gas fired, wind and solar projects
- 30+ years of experience including Southwest Generation, Black Hills Corp and TXU
- BS Mechanical Engineering (New Mexico State University), MBA (Colorado State University), Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado
SVP, General Counsel, Legal, Reg & Compliance
- General Counsel and Senior Vice President for Regulatory Affairs
- 10+ years in the industry, 25 years practicing corporate law at Hogan & Hartson LLP, Molson Coors Brewing Company and Southwest Generation; served in the Colorado House of Representatives from 2005-2009
- BA (Amherst College), JD (University of Chicago Law School)
Board of Directors
- After leading the turnaround of Southwest Generation, Mr. Foster serves as Executive Chairman of the Onward Energy board.
- Mr. Foster has over 30 years of experience in the U.S. and international power industries.
- Mr. Foster’s experience includes senior executive roles in legal, finance, M&A, and development at J. Makowski, InterGen, CPV and most recently as CEO of Southwest Generation.
Lead Independent Director
- From 2004 to 2014, Mr. Welch served as the CEO of Atlantic Power Corporation (NYSE: AT), and also served on their Board of Directors from 2006 to 2014.
- From 2001 to 2004, Mr. Welch served as the Senior Vice President, Head of the Bond and Corporate Finance Group at John Hancock.
Executive Board Member
- Mr. Doyon is the CEO of Onward Energy.
- Mr. Doyon has over 30 years of experience in the power industry, including conventional and renewable generation.
- Mr. Doyon’s experience includes senior executive positions in development, M&A, and asset management at Cogentrix Energy, DTE Energy Services, Comverge, AES, Terra-Gen Power and most recently as CEO of Novatus Energy.
Lindsey Brace Martinez
Independent Board Member
- Ms. Brace Martinez founded and is President of StarPoint Advisors, LLC where she advises family offices, endowments, foundations (>$1B) and investment firms on broad business, organizational and investment strategies.
- Ms. Brace Martinez spent 15 years (2000-2014) in senior management at Cambridge Associates.
Independent Board Member
- Ms. Cleary is a senior executive with over 30 years of extensive management and technical experience, providing leadership throughout major business events. She has an extensive track record in commercializing assets and P&L creation.
- Ms. Cleary has led all aspects of the integration of two Fortune 500 company M&A transactions, successfully developed and commercialized large capital power projects and served as the business unit president for over 6,000 MW of fossil generation.
Robert G. Foster
Independent Board Member
- Mr. Foster has an extensive record of municipal and executive leadership. He served two terms as Mayor of Long Beach California, from 2006 to 2014, and is the former Chair of the California Independent System Operator.
- Prior to this, Mr. Foster was President of Southern California Edison where he held key executive positions within the company and its parent, Edison International, over two decades.
Onward Energy is majority owned by institutional investors advised by JPMAM, who collectively represent the retirement monies of over 40 million families worldwide.